- 1939-1949 (Creation)
Level of description
14 boxes or 0.14 metres cubed
Scope and content
Papers of Edwin Embleton, 1939-1949, chiefly comprising World War Two propaganda pamphlets, 1939-1945, on subjects including the Allied war effort, the Home Front, British Allies, anti-Nazism and the Empire, largely produced by the Ministry of Information for dissemination both within Britain and overseas. These pamphlets are in a number of European, Middle Eastern, African and Asian languages. An approximate translation has been provided for all foreign language titles. The remainder of the collection comprises Ministry of Information produced propaganda posters, postcards, cigarette cards, scrapbook stamps; portraits of Islamic leaders; maps from the Ministry of Information 'Map series' for use by newspapers; American propaganda pamphlets and Ministry of Information administrative papers. Administrative papers include progress reports, memoranda and plans relating to strategy, visual presentation, print deadlines and staff.
System of arrangement
Arranged in sections as follows: pamphlets; material with no or very little text (such as postcards and cigarette cards) and administrative papers. Pamphlets have been arranged by language except for the first section consisting of multi lingual series, where the items have been arranged by series, regardless of language. Pamphlets that do not form part of a series have been arranged by language, editions that appear in several different languages are cross referenced. Languages with a large quantity of material (English and French) have been further subdivided into subject categories. Within the sections pamphlets are ordered chronologically.
Name of creator
Born 1907; joined Odhams Press where he started as a layout and lettering artist and graduated to Studio Manager,1924-1939; Art Director and Studio Manager of General Production Division, Ministry of Information, 1939-1945; returned to Odhams Press, 1945; died, 2000.
Three boxes of material were acquired by the Centre from Edwin Embleton in 1996. Following his death, a second deposit of material was acquired from his daughter in 2002
Conditions governing access
Open, subject to signature of Reader's undertaking form, and appropriate provision of two forms of identification, to include one photographic ID.
Conditions governing reproduction
Copies, subject to the condition of the original, may be supplied from open material for research purposes only.
Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Trustees of the Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives, via the Archives.
Language of material
Script of material
This collection level description and detailed catalogue.
Jul 1998, updated 2002; updated 2008.
Place access points
People and Organisations
- Embleton, Edwin Joseph, 1907-2000, studio manager, Ministry of Information (Subject)
- Air Ministry (Subject)
- Colonial Office (Subject)
- Department of Health for Scotland (Subject)
- General Production Division, Ministry of Information (Subject)
- Inland Revenue (Subject)
- Ministry of Education (Subject)
- Ministry of Food (Subject)
- Ministry of Health (Subject)
- Ministry of Home Security (Subject)
- Ministry of Information (Subject)
- Ministry of Labour (Subject)
- Ministry of Labour and National Service (Subject)
- Ministry of Supply (Subject)
- Overseas Production Division, Ministry of Information (Subject)
- Overseas Publications Committee, Ministry of Information (Subject)
- Publications Division, Ministry of Information (Subject)
- The Central Council for Health Education (Subject)
- US Office of War Information (Subject)
- War Office (Subject)
- Women's Voluntary Services for Civil Defence (Subject)
Genre access points
Rules and/or conventions used
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000.
Entry compiled by Sarah Drewery.