Showing 135 results

Authority record

Michael Bilton, Yorkshire Television

  • KCL-AF0025
  • Organisation

Yorkshire Television is an independent television company based in Leeds, Yorkshire. It was established in 1968 and is presently one of the largest independent television companies. In 1997 it became a franchise of the Granada Media Group, later Granada Compass.

3BM Television

  • KCL-AF0053
  • Organisation

The documentary was produced by 3BM for Channel 4, Oregon Public Broadcasting, RTL and ITEL. 3BM is an independent television production company founded in October 1995 by Jeremy Bennett, Simon Berthon, Marion Milne and Malcolm Brinkworth. It has offices in London and Bath and specialises in production of documentaries in the historical, current affairs and popular science and human interest fields. The Berlin Airlift was produced by Jeremy Bennett and directed by Marion Milne. Other members of the production team included Professor Avi Shlaim, Historical Consultant; Tamzin Fry, Production Manager; Rosalind Bentley, Film Research; Helen Seaman, Research; and David Spiers, Editor.

Brixmis Association, 1946-1990

  • KCL-AF0093
  • Organisation
  • 1946-1990

The Association was formed to promote social contact between former members of the British Commanders'-in-Chief Mission (BRIXMIS) to the Soviet Forces in Germany, 1946-1990. Under the terms of an agreement signed by Lt Gen Sir Brian Robertson, Deputy Military Governor, Control Commission Germany, and Gen M S Malinin, Deputy Chief of Staff, Soviet Group of Forces of Occupation in Germany, the British and Soviet forces each had liaison missions in each other's zones, officially to foster good working relations, and unofficially to gather military intelligence. Similar agreements for the French and American forces were signed in 1947. BRIXMIS was comprised of Army and RAF personnel. All missions closed when the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) was reunited with the Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany), 1990.

Council on Christian Approaches to Defence and Disarmament, 1957-

  • KCL-AF0159
  • Organisation

The Council on Christian Approaches to Defence and Disarmament was founded in the early 1960s as a response to the Cold War; it arose from the Institute of Strategic Studies, founded in 1957, and was intended to be a separate but parallel body for discussion of the ethical problems of nuclear deterrence. Originally called the 'Conference on Christian Approaches to Defence and Disarmament', early members included Sir Anthony Buzzard, Sir Kenneth Grubb, Alan Booth, Sydney Bailey and the Bishop of Chichester, George Bell. To enforce the connection between the organisations Alastair Buchan, Director of the Institute of Strategic Studies, became the first CCADD Vice-President. The first CCADD conference was held at Lambeth Palace and Fulham Palace, London, in 1963. On 20 September 1965 it became incorporated as a company limited by guarantee, and shortly afterwards changed its name to the 'Council on Christian Approaches to Defence and Disarmament'. During the 1960s CCADD became the advisory body on defence and disarmament to the British Council of Churches, and began to publish research and hold regular discussion meetings, as well as an annual international conference. Following the end of the Cold War in 1989, the CCADD has expanded its topics of concern to include humanitarian intervention, peacekeeping, the role of the UN, the arms trade, biological and chemical weapons, torture and terrorism. CCADD publishes a number of conference papers, reports, discussion papers and studies. Studies published since 1992 include: Retaliation: A Political and Strategic Option under Moral and Religious Scrutiny (Methodist Publishing House, 1992); Profit Without Honour? Ethics and the Arms Trade (Methodist Publishing House, 1992); Some Corner of a Foreign Field: Intervention and World Order (Macmillan, 1998); The Crescent and the Cross: Muslim and Christian Approaches to War and Peace (Macmillan, 1998); Demanding Peace: Christian Responses to War and Violence (SCM Press, 1999); Witnesses to Faith?: The Concept of Martyrdom in Christianity and Islam (Ashgate, 2005); Britain's Bomb: What Next? (SCM-Canterbury Press, 2006).

Jeater, Diana, historian

  • KCL-AF0572
  • Organisation

The Rhodesian Forces Oral History Project, 2008-2009, was conducted by Dr Diana Jeater and Dr Sue Onslow at the University of the West of England at Bristol and funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council, to interview white former members of the military and police forces in Rhodesia, from all ranks. The questioning sought to discover what it was the interviewees considered they had been fighting for, and how their personal recollections may have been influenced by subsequent events.

King's College Hospital Friends

  • KCL-AF0803
  • Organisation

The earliest reference of what was later called the Friends of King's College Hospital, was in the annual report of 1903, which mentioned the "Needlework Guild" contributing 604 garments and £42 cash for "comforts of the ward" that year. The members of the Guild were local ladies. In 1910 the Guild made and donated a large amount of linen to the Hospital, including blankets, sheets, pillowcases and towels. In 1917 Dowager Viscountess Lady Esther Hambleden formed from the Needlework Guild, a 'Ladies Association', whose main object was to collect money for the Hospital and for the patients' comforts. The Association raised money for the Hospital, made 400 blackout curtains in World War Two, started and staffed a canteen, gave money for improvements to the Nurses' Home, opened a flower shop and was responsible for flower arrangements in the Hospital. Viscountess Lady Hambleden served as Chairman of the Friends from 1917 to 1944, followed by Dowager Lady Stanley 1944-1947, and the Hon Katherine Acland 1947-1966. From 1966 the Chairman held a three year term of office. In 1961 the Ladies Association and the Ladies Association of Belgrave Hospital for Children became the Friends of King's College Hospital, its basic principles remaining the same: to provide amenities and comforts for the benefit of patients and staff of King's College Hospital. All its members are volunteers. The Friends established the Kingfishers, a junior branch specially concerned with raising money for child patients, with its own Committee.

Guy's '89 Club

  • KCL-AF0814
  • Organisation

Guy's '89 Club was founded in 1895 as an annual dining club for the first year students at Guy's Hospital during the period 1889-1890, and the third year students during the year 1891-1892.

Guy's Hospital College Catering Company Limited

  • KCL-AF0816
  • Organisation
  • 1926-1981

Guy's Hospital College Catering Company Limited was incoporated in 1926 and provided meals to staff and students at Guy's Hospital College. The company was wound up in 1981.

Guy's Society for Clinical Reports

  • KCL-AF0818
  • Organisation

Guy's Society for Clinical Reports was established in 1836 by pupils, with the support of the Treasurer Benjamin Harrison. The Society's aim was 'to preserve and disseminate useful information collected by pupils from the Hospital'. The influence of Thomas Hodgkin appears to have been instrumental in the establishment of the Society. All students attending the hospital were eligible to be members. The students of the Society were allotted in groups to each Physician and Surgeon to report selected cases. They met once a week in the clincial report room of the hospital to describe the cases of most interest. Reports of each case were to be drawn up in 'a condensed tabular shape according to a formula arranged by the society', and were expected to be in minute detail. The wards were arranged in two divisions, and their reports were given to the Secretary on alternate weeks, the completed cases extracted and the papers returned. A daily list of admissions of the previous day and a journal of cases recording all cases in the hospital were also kept in the report room. In 1846 it was made obligatory for all students to report cases, partly due to the success of the Clinical Report Society.

Guy's Hospital Medical School College

  • KCL-AF0819
  • Organisation

As early as 1839 the Treasurer of Guy's Hospital Medical School had attempted to provide a residential college for students but the plan failed as the School could not meet the expense. Before the establishment of the College, many students lived in poor conditions in the neighbourhood of the hospital. By 1885 the need for residential accommodation had become more urgent with the appointment of more resident house-officers by the Hospital. The Hospital agreed to help with the funding and a college was built on a site on Maze Pond next to the hospital. The College was formally opened in 1890. During the Second World War the College was badly damaged, and most of the building rebuilt and refurbished. The College was reopened in 1946 under the management of the Medical School. The College was later demolished to make way for the building of Guy's Tower.

King's College Hospital Board of Governors

  • KCL-AF0856
  • Organisation

The first governors of the Hospital, in 1840, consisted mainly of major donors and subscribers. From 1857 the Board of Governors became the Corporation of the President, Vice-President and Governors. When the National Health Service was established in 1948, the Minister of Health constituted a new board of governors for each of the London teaching hospital groups. The King's College Hospital Group Board of Governors included members appointed on the nomination of the University of London, the Metropolitan Hospital Boards and the medical teaching staffs of the hospitals. In 1974, due to the reorganisation of the National Health Service, the Board of Governors of King's College Hospital Group was disbanded and replaced by a District Management Team.

King's College Hospital and Medical School Joint Committees

  • KCL-AF0857
  • Organisation

In 1952 the Medical School established a research sub-committee of the Academic Board, which in the following year became the Joint Hospital and School Research Committee. The Dental Committee was a sub-committee of the Finance and General Purposes Committee. In 1960 the Joint Dental Council and Dental Committee became the Joint Dental Council. The New Dental Hospital and School Joint Advisory Planning Committee became the Dental Planning Committee in 1960. The New Dental Hospital Building Sub-Committee was replaced by the New Dental Hospital and School Building Details Sub-Committee in 1962. The Joint Planning Committee was formed at the time of King's College Hospital Group Board of Governors and Medical School Council becoming King's Health District (Teaching) Management Team and Medical School Council in 1974.

King's College Hospital and Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham Area Health Authority (Teaching)

  • KCL-AF0859
  • Organisation

When the first reorganisation of the National Health Service took place in April 1974, Hospital Groups were replaced by Health Districts grouped under Area Health Authorities, which were responsible to Regional Health Authorities. The King's Health District (Teaching) was formed as one of the four districts in the Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham Area Health Authority (Teaching). The other three districts were based on the catchment areas of Guy's, St Thomas' and Lewisham Hospital Groups.

King's College Hospital Clubs and Societies Union

  • KCL-AF0860
  • Organisation

In 1908 all the King's College Hospital Clubs and Societies became amalgamated, and the Clubs and Societies Union of King's College Hospital Medical School was inaugurated. The Union was managed by a Council consisting of a President, a Treasurer, and an Honorary Secretary, and representatives of the honorary staff, resident medical officers, and students. The Union embraced the Listerian Society, the Dental Society, the Common Rooms, the Musical Society, the Athletic, the Cricket, Football, Lawn Tennis, Hockey, Swimming, Boxing, Squash, Golf, and Dance Clubs, and the Christian Union.

King's College Hospital Committee of Management

  • KCL-AF0861
  • Organisation

King's College Hospital Committee of Management was established in 1840. It was elected by and from the Annual Court of the Governors of King's College London, with the College Council appointing two members itself. The Committee of Management undertook the day-to-day administration of the Hospital and appointed lay officers including the Secretary, Steward and Matron. This arrangement of dual control between the Council and the Committee of Management sometimes led to friction, and did not become law until 1851 with the Act of Incorporation. As a consequence of King's College Hospital becoming King's College Hospital Group in 1948, the Committee of Management became the House Committee in 1950. In 1963 the House Committees of King's College Hospital and Belgrave Hospital amalgamated, and were henceforth referred to as the King's College Hospital House Committee, until 1968 when Belgrave Hospital House Committee was transferred from the care of King's and combined with the St Francis Hospital House Committee.

King's College Hospital Council Special Purpose Committees

  • KCL-AF0862
  • Organisation

The Appeal Committee, also known as the Special Appeal Committee and the Appeal Sub-Committee, reported to the Appeal Council from 1922 to 1924: the Appeal Council was the managing body with the Appeal Committee as the executive. The Medical School Centenary Committee was set up for the Medical School centenary 1831-1931. The General Board of Teachers was one of the Statutory Boards assisting the Committee of Management with the government of the Medical School, and consisted of the members of the Medical Board and of all persons officially engaged in teaching in the Medical School, meeting for the first time in 1910. The Cambridge House Day Centre was a joint venture sponsored by the Nuffield Foundation and administered and staffed by King's College Hospital.

King's College Hospital Finance Committee

  • KCL-AF0864
  • Organisation

King's College Hospital Standing Sub-Committee of Finance was appointed in 1855, to raise funds for the Hospital. In 1875 it became the Finance Committee. In 1948 it became the Finance and General Purposes Committee, when the King's College Hospital Group came into being. The Board of Governors of the Group delegated much power to the Finance and General Purposes Committee.

King's College Hospital Medical Board

  • KCL-AF0865
  • Organisation

For a number of years King's College Hospital Medical Board consisted of the professors, who were usually also medical practitioners, in the Medical Department of the College. Its task was to oversee academic work and teaching. In 1870 the Board was reconstituted and consisted of the physicians, surgeons, assistant physicians, assistant surgeons, the Dental Surgeon, the Senior Anaesthetist of the Hospital, the Teacher of Hygiene in the Medical School and other teachers of the Medical School appointed by the Committee of Management. In 1949 the Medical Board became the Medical Committee, as a consequence of the Hospital becoming King's College Hospital Group in 1948.

King's College Hospital Medical School Committee

  • KCL-AF0866
  • Organisation

The King's College London Transfer Act was passed in 1908 (coming into force in 1909), and King's College London was incorporated in the University of London. The Committee of Management of King's College Hospital took over the School of Advanced Medical Studies, bringing into existence King's College Hospital Medical School, while the Faculty of Medical Science remained at the College. The Committee of Management appointed the government of the Medical School, assisted by the Medical School Committee. The Medical School Committee consisted of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman and the Treasurer of the Committee of Management, and the Dean of the Medical School, together with six members of the Committee of Management and six members chosen by the Medical Board. Under the provisions of the National Health Service Act, 1946, the Medical School was incorporated as a separate legal entity in 1948, distinct from the Hospital, with its own governing body, the Council of the Medical School.

King's College Hospital Medical School Library

  • KCL-AF0868
  • Organisation

The Medical School Library was founded in 1839, when the first King's College Hospital was opened in Portugal Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London. Apart from an early Report Book covering the years 1839-1852, few records refer to it until 1946. During World War Two, the upkeep of the Library had been unavoidably neglected. A Library Sub-committee was elected in 1945 and the next year a new appointment was made, that of a full-time Librarian.

Results 1 to 20 of 135